Sunday's inclement weather delayed my return from a weekend road trip, and yesterday my photograhusband didn't get home from work until after dark. I swear, I really am trying to maintain a schedule. It just seems like every week something else gets in the way. Eesh!
Anywho, last Thursday I showed you how this piece began - as a thrift score on a much heavier Carissa, purchased for $5 at Goodwill with the original $165 Nordstrom tag still attached!
But since it no longer fits, it's time to make some changes!
I carefully picked out the seams to remove the collar and sleeves (and shoulder pads).
I also removed the pocket flaps by picking out the seam along the top edge of each pocket.
I removed the decorative top-stitching along each dart for a simpler look.
I cut the bottom edge straight across the back and slightly angled down to points in the front.
With the bottom edge gone, I could now easily access the inside between the plaid fabric and the lining. I pinned the top of the pockets back together and closed those up sans pocket flaps.
I also reattached the outer fabric and facing around the neck edge where I had removed the collar and lapels.
I took in the sides of the plaid fabric and the lining.
The inner and outer bottom edges were press upward.
And then I top-stitched all the way around the bottom, fronts, and neck edges, using a matching thread instead of the dark brown so it wouldn't stand out as much.
I tried on my nearly complete vest and marked where I wanted the armholes to be. Then I trimmed a bit off so they wouldn't be so wide.
Again the inner and outer fabrics were folding toward each other and top-stitched.
Last but not least, I swapped out the now-irrelevant size tag for the fabric content/laundering tab I salvaged from the side seam before I took in the sides.