Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Jeans Refit

I have several pair of jeans that are perfectly good jeans, but just a size too large now. I've lived with them like this for a couple months now, thinking they weren't ill-fitting enough yet to make it worthwhile to ditch them and buy new ones (from a thrift store, of course - I don't really do new). However, recently it got to be too much. Why did I work my butt off (literally!) to lose all this weight just to hide it in baggy jeans? So I decided to do something about it! Here's what I'm talking about.

Jeans Refit - Before

See? Not too big to wear, but certainly not as flattering as I'd like.
I began by flipping them inside out and pinching about an inch of fabric along the inseam, just to the back of the existing seam. I'm going to sew as close to the existing seams as possible in order to make my new seams practically invisible.

Jeans Refit - In Progress

This would be a very quick refashion too, assuming your sewing machine doesn't decide to do this.

Jeans Refit - In Progress

So once I got my tension adjusted, here's my new seam from the inside...

Jeans Refit - In Progress

...and from the outside.

Jeans Refit - In Progress

Someone would really have to invade my personal bubble to notice that! And I didn't even have to touch the waistband, because who has time to mess with that? By taking in the legs and crotch, the jeans ride a little lower on my hips now, meaning the slightly too-big waist now fits just fine at a wider part of my hips (though I still like to wear a belt for safety's sake).

Jeans Refit - After

I did this pair a week ago (while my husband was gone for the day, hence the awesome mirror pics). They were such a success, I decided to take in three more pair this past weekend.

Jeans Refit Before & After

22 comments:

  1. LOVE! I've been planning on doing the same, but in my case it's the whole "rip out the zipper, redo the crotch/belt" scenario. :(
    Your new jeans look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your refashions. You're very inspirational to me, not only for the clothing refashions but for your weight loss (I read back a bit) and your creativity :) also, are those hand-knit socks on your feet?? I'm also a knitter and my favorite pair I own is the only pair I've made for myself and I hope they never wear out because I don't have time to make a new pair!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! They are indeed hand-knit socks, these to be precise. They are far from my only pair though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. did you cut off the 'extra' fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I did cut off the extra.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea: must try, maybe serging, to take off the exceeding fabric!
    MammaNene

    SergerPepper.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG that is brilliant... I will have to try that on a pair I own... Thanks... Plus just wanted to say that one inch made a huge difference... looks like you lost 20 pounds. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly! I found it was a great way to get a little more life out of my jeans after I lost weight. No point in buying new jeans if you can make the ones you already have last!

      Delete
  8. Great idea, thank you for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. simply ingenious! thanks for sharing, you have a great gift to see, cut and sew:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How did you do the hem, to avoid exra bulk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My standard home sewing machine didn't have any problem going through it, but you may have to hand-crank your wheel if it gets a little rough.

      Delete
  11. Not sure my comment showed up. I smack the folded hem layers (seams) with my tack hammer. Needle goes thru smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh wow how bizzare. I've just sat down for a cuppa and came across your post. I've just had my jeans on inside out..pinned in down the outer seam of both legs and intend to do exactly the same. They look great and we'll done on your weight loss 😊

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look great! Do you have a video by chance, or are there any you recommend? Beginner sewer here. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look great! Do you have a video by chance, or are there any you recommend? Beginner sewer here. Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great technique, I have a pair I could alter, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. however this is a "tread carefully" region. Except if, you trust your designer, stay away. Moreover, in case you are more limited than 5'4'', you ought to keep away from a boot cut by and large. A boot cut might make your thighs look heavier by embracing the knees too firmly prior to erupting at the base making your legs look more limited. At long last, avoid sleeves. long silk robe

    ReplyDelete
  17. So did you remove the part that you took in ? If not aren’t they kinda bulky with the extra material ?

    ReplyDelete
  18. SBI YONO Business is one of the initiatives launched by SBI. It is only for you. One means you may use this YONO company website or app to access all of your accounts and meet your financial obligations. sbi yono business If you have one of the above-mentioned corporate accounts. Then you will be given an ID and password to use this integrated service. It is simple to access from any device.

    ReplyDelete